Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Taking Care of Business

I attended the Marketing and Promotion for visual artists workshop this past Saturday put on by the Connecticut Commission on Culture and Tourism, and the Tremaine Foundation. It was the third of three in the Commission's 2010 Artist Workshop Series - Taking Care of Business: Career Strategies for Visual Artists. Not only did I pick up some art business advice but I got to meet some great people and share ideas.

I enjoyed the presentation by Jackie Battenfield, artist and author of The Artist's Guide: How to Make a Living Doing What You Love (2009). She reminded me to set career goals and figure out my endpoint, then do the steps to reach that goal. There was a strong emphasis on starting out with regional art venues within a 100 mile radius which appealed to me.

I highly recommend these affordable and informative workshops (only $20 per day, which included an excellent catered lunch) to other artists in all phases of their career development. I don't know when the next series or sessions will be run, but if you missed them or could not attend every workshop, all classes have been audio taped and are now available online at the Commission's website. (To listen, click on the link above.)

No comments:

Post a Comment