Sunday, January 11, 2009

Wasted Spaces Series - Nailed Shut

8"x 8" oil on board

This is an ongoing series of paintings about wasted spaces.  I see so many empty buildings, just waiting for something or someone.  This is really a record of history because as you read this, most of these buildings in this series have already been demolished.

I find unlikely and forlorn beauty in these abandoned buildings and their neglected landscapes. Their aged textures, forms and patinas are like jewels when light cast its shadows. The questions of what will happen to the places left behind, what happened to the people who once lived and worked in them, is not unlike a more personal question for myself: where will this series take me?  

For me, there is beauty and sadness in decay.

No comments:

Post a Comment